Make a complaint - Housing tenants

If you are a Housing tenant and wish to make a complaint or suggestion about your property


If you require translation or interpretation of any of our services then please contact 01909 533 533.

Our Promise to you

  • We will acknowledge receipt of your comment within 5 working days
  • We will answer all complaints/suggestions within 10 working days
  • We will use plain language
  • We will give you a contact name and telephone number

We will

  • Listen to you
  • Put things right if they go wrong
  • Take action as soon as possible at any stage
  • Keep you informed
  • Improve our services to meet with your needs

Complaint Handling Code and Housing Ombudsman Scheme

Complaints about the Council’s Housing Service are handled by the Housing Ombudsman. The Housing Ombudsman is keen to encourage local settlement wherever possible and has set up a scheme where a Designated Person can act on behalf of a complainant. The role of the Designated Person is to mediate, negotiate and if necessary refer the complaint to the Housing Ombudsman for investigation.

Designated Persons can be:

  • A Bassetlaw District Councillor
  • A Member of Parliament
  • A Member of a Tenant Panel (Please note: Bassetlaw District Council does not have a Tenant Panel that considers complaints)

A complainant can contact any of the approved Designated Persons and request that they look into the Housing complaint. From 1 October 2022, due to changes to the Housing Ombudsman Scheme, residents can now go directly to the Housing Ombudsman if they remain dissatisfied at the end of the complaints process without referral by a designated person or without having to wait eight weeks.

The Housing Ombudsman details are: telephone 0300 111 3000, email:, postal address: PO Box 152, Liverpool, L33 7WQ.



Last Updated on Friday, July 7, 2023