Data collated from site visits is based upon the Green Flag Award scheme (a national standard for parks and green spaces in England and Wales, operated by the Green Flag Plus Partnership). The play area assessment criteria are based upon Fields in Trust (FIT) guidelines. These are utilised to calculate a quality score for each site visited. Scores in the database are presented as percentage figures. The quality criteria used for the open space assessments carried out are summarised in the following table.
Quality criteria for open space site visit (score)
- Physical access, eg. public transport links, directional signposts.
- Access-social, eg. appropriate minimum entrance widths.
- Parking, eg. disabled parking.
- Information signage, eg. presence of up to date site information.
- Equipment and facilities, eg. assessment of both adequacy and maintenance of provision such as seats, benches, bins, toilets.
- Location value, eg. proximity of housing, other greenspace.
- Site problems, eg. presence of vandalism, graffiti.
- Healthy, safe and secure, eg. staff on site.
- Maintenance and cleanliness, eg. condition of landscape.
- Groups that the site meets the needs of, eg. elderly, young people.
- Site potential.
Last Updated on Tuesday, September 8, 2020