Universal credit - Housing Costs

Universal Credit includes housing costs

Any help you get with your rent will be included in your Universal Credit payment and you will be responsible for paying your landlord. In some circumstances payments can be made direct to the landlord, for example, when there are rent arrears or threat of eviction or you find it difficult to manage payments.

Further information for landlords and tenants to help them prepare for the move to direct payments and what protections and safeguards are in place is available on theĀ Gov.uk website.

If you live in Supported Exempt/Specified Accommodation, as well as claiming Universal Credit you will need to claim Housing Benefit for help with your rent as you will not be entitled to claim the housing element of Universal Credit.



Last Updated on Wednesday, May 8, 2024