Bonfires - Complaining

How do I complain about a Garden Bonfire?

If bothered by smoke, approach your neighbour and explain the problem. You might feel awkward but they may not be aware of the distress they are causing and it will hopefully make them more considerate in the future. If this fails please Make an Environmental Health Complaint,

We will investigate your complaint and must issue a notice under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 if we consider a nuisance is being caused. The Act also allows you to take private action in the Magistrates’ Court. However, if a fire is a one-off it may be difficult to prove a nuisance. Similarly, if you are troubled from bonfires from different neighbours, each only burning occasionally, a nuisance action would be difficult as there are several offenders. In this situation encourage them to consider the alternatives.

Finally, under section 161A of the Highways Act 1980, anyone lighting a fire and allowing smoke to drift across a road faces a fine if it endangers traffic or causes injury. Contact the police if this is the case.



Last Updated on Tuesday, October 22, 2019