Regulated entertainment

What is Regulated Entertainment?

Subject to qualifying conditions, and exemptions, the definitions are contained within Schedule 1 of the Act and include:

  • Live music
  • Recorded music
  • Dancing
  • Plays
  • Films
  • Indoor sporting events
  • Boxing or wrestling
  • Any other form of similar entertainment

In particular a licence may be required by:

  • anyone that provides any entertainment between 11pm, and 8am;
  • anyone that provides amplified live or recorded music to an audience of more than 500 people;
  • anyone that provides recorded music to an audience on premises not licensed for the sale or supply of alcohol;
  • anyone that puts on a performance of a play or a dance to an audience of more than 500 people, or an indoor sporting event to more than 1,000 spectators
  • anyone that puts on boxing or wrestling
  • anyone that screens a film to an audience

However, there are exemptions which have recently come into force under the Live Music Act followed by further deregulation under the Licensing Act and Deregulation Act.

Does the Act include outdoors entertainment?

Yes, the definition of ‘premises’ states that it means “any place and include a vehicle, vessel of moveable structure”. Unlike the previous system, any licensable activity taking place on private or public land will require a licence.

Last Updated on Tuesday, December 13, 2022