Being prepared will make things so much easier if your home is ever flooded. Putting together a Flood Kit ‘Grab bag’ is a key way of minimising the risks and surviving the worst, if you choose to stay in your home or are evacuated to a rest centre.
Consider including in your pack items such as:
Insurance documents and other important documents.
Mobile phones and chargers.
Emergency cash and credit cards.
Prescription medication / repeat prescription forms.
- Milk & baby food
- Sterilised bottles & spoons
- Wipes, nappy bags
- Comforter, favourite toy
- Camera to record damage for insurance purposes (digital cameras are best).
- Numbers for your Emergency Insurance, local council, emergency service, family and friends, plus local radio frequencies.
- Torch with spare batteries is best; a wind-up torch is a good backup.
- Portable battery radio; a wind-up radio is a good backup.
- Non-perishable food items (including energy or cereal bars).
- Bottled water (check use-by date).
- Wash kit and essential toiletries (including toilet and wet wipes).
- Pack of playing cards or family games.
- Blankets, duvets, warm clothes.
- Wellington boots, waterproof clothing, rubber gloves.
- First aid kit.
Preparation will also minimise delay should evacuation of your home be necessary.
Last Updated on Friday, November 3, 2023