Reporting accidents and incidents at work


Bassetlaw District Council receives notifications of reportable accidents and incidents that are work related.

Some of those notifications will require further investigation. The form of this investigation will vary depending upon circumstances. It may be as simple as the employer or injured person being contacted for further information about the circumstances of the accident or incident or it may require on site investigations or inspection.

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR) is the law that requires employers and anyone else with responsibility for health and safety within a workplace, to report and keep records of:-

  • work-related deaths;
  • serious injuries;
  • cases of diagnosed industrial disease; and
  • certain 'dangerous occurrences' (near miss accidents)

2012 Change

From 6 April 2012, the over-three-day reporting requirement for people injured at work has changed. The trigger point has increased from over three days’ to over seven days’ incapacitation (not counting the day on which the accident happened, but including weekends and rest days). The deadline by which the over-seven-day injury must be reported has also increased to fifteen days from the day of the accident.

Incapacitation means that the worker is absent or is unable to do work that they would reasonably be expected to do as part of their normal work.

Employers and others with responsibilities under RIDDOR must still keep a record of all over-three day-injuries. If the employer has to keep an accident book, then this record will also be treated as a record for the purposes of RIDDOR.


What Must Be Reported?

Detailed guidance is available in the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases & Dangerous Occurrences Regulations Guide.

How To Report

Online - Report An Incident by completing the appropriate online report form. The form will then be submitted directly to the RIDDOR database. You will receive a copy for your records

Telephone - All incidents can be reported online but a telephone service remains for reporting fatal and major injuries ONLY. Call the incident contact centre on 0845 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30 to 5 pm)

Why Report and Record?

Reporting and recording is a legal requirement. The report informs the enforcing authorities local authorities and the HSE) about deaths, injuries, occupational diseases and dangerous occurrences so they can identify where and how risks arise, and whether they need to be investigated. This allows local authorities and the HSE to target their work and provide advice about how to avoid work-related deaths, injuries, ill health and accidental loss.

Records of incidents covered by RIDDOR are also important. They ensure that you collect the minimum amount of information to allow you to check that you are doing enough to ensure safety and prevent occupational diseases. This information is a valuable management tool that can be used as an aid to risk assessment, helping to develop solutions to potential risks. In this way, records also help to prevent injuries and ill health, and control costs from accidental loss.

You must keep a record of:

  • any reportable death, injury, occupational disease or dangerous occurrence; and
  • all occupational accidents and injuries that result in a worker being away from work or incapacitated for more than three consecutive days (not counting the day of the accident but including any weekends or other rest days).

You must produce RIDDOR records when asked by local authority or HSE inspectors.

Last Updated on Tuesday, March 21, 2023