What is tenancy sustainment?
Our tenancy sustainment service provides short-term, intensive support to tenants with multiple needs, who are at serious risk of losing their home if support is not provided. We work alongside existing services offered by Bassetlaw District Council and external agencies to ensure customers receive the best support available matched to their individual needs.
In some circumstances we can also work with new customers (those with no previous experience of holding a tenancy or those with complex situations) to support them in resettling and to help them gain confidence in their rights & responsibilities as a tenant.
What support do we provide?
Examples of support include:
- basic budgeting so you can pay your rent and bills
- support to access a bank account
- accessing benefits to make sure you’re getting everything you’re entitled to
- sourcing furniture and white goods
- community involvement
- accessing education, work, training and volunteering opportunities
- food bank referrals and energy advice
- accessing support from other agencies and liaising with them on your behalf
- help to make a Discretionary Housing Payment application and a Council Tax Reduction claim
- advice around issues that may be placing your tenancy at risk
- advice if you need to move home
- specialist advice around hoarding
If you need help and support with something else please do contact us and if we cannot help you ourselves we will refer you to service providers that can.
How can I access the service?
You must be a tenant of Bassetlaw District Council, and you must be at risk of losing your tenancy.
If you feel that you would benefit from working with a Tenancy Sustainment Officer, please call us on 0800 590 542 or get in touch by email at
Please remember to provide your name, address and telephone number so we can get in touch with you.
Your Rent Officer or Housing Officer may refer you directly to the Tenancy Sustainment Team if they believe you would benefit from some additional help.
Working with Tenancy Sustainment is voluntary. The service is here to provide support and assistance in a non-judgmental way to help you stay in your home.
Last Updated on Thursday, August 25, 2022