What should I do so my green bin is collected?
- Place your bin out on the kerbside by 6am on the day of your collection. Remember to take it back when emptied. Check your collection day.
- Ensure that the lid on your bin is closed. If your bin lid is not closed, your bin will not be emptied.
- Waste presented at the side of you bin will not be collected and may be treated as fly-tipping.
What can you put in your green bin
- Rubbish that cannot be recycled.
- Wrapped or bagged kitchen / food waste (this helps to avoid smells which attract vermin.
- Nappies securely wrapped in bags.
- Plastic food trays that cannot currently be recycled.
What can't go in your green bin
- Any items that can be recycled in your green bin or taken to your local household recycling centre
- Electrical items
- Commercial waste
- Soil, rubble, bricks and building waste
- Large or bulky items
- Hazardous waste
- Liquid waste
Green bins are collected every two weeks. Find out your collection day.
We can help you with your collections if you are unable to take your bins to the kerbside due to a disability or ill health. Visit our assisted bin collections page.
Report a missed collection
To report that your bin has not been collected on your scheduled day, please see our missed bin page.
What happens to your green bin waste?
In Nottinghamshire, the contents of your general waste bin is sent to an Energy Recovery Facility. Once there it is burned and the energy is recovered to generate electricity which then provides heat to local district heating schemes.
Last Updated on Friday, May 20, 2022