Council tax reduction scheme (CTR) 2024/25

Please note, the working age CTR scheme (2024/25) income bands are as follows:

Income Band

Income level / Household Type

New Amount of Discount

Pensioner (prescribed) scheme

Households where one or both have reached Pension age

Means-tested based on 100%

1 (Vulnerable)

Eligible for a Severe Disability Premium (SDP) or SDP transitional award



In receipt of Maximum Universal Credit, Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support or Employment Support Allowance OR weekly income less than £98.32



Other households with weekly income between £98.33 and £220.45



Other households with weekly income between £220.46 and £292.30



Other households with weekly income between £292.31 and £399.51



Income cut off point £399.52


The new Bassetlaw scheme has some helpful additions over and above the Government’s recommended scheme policy, such as a full disregard for war pensions and child benefit.

Previous years’ Council Tax Reduction Scheme documents are available on request from the Benefits Unit. The Band C restriction was introduced in 2017-18 and has applied to all working age applications from 1 April 2017. This means if you are living in a property in Bands D, E, F, G or H, you will have to pay the difference between the maximum Council tax Reduction (at band C equivalent) and the total bill for your property. If you need advice about this  or you think that this would cause you exceptional hardship, you may be eligible for a Council Tax hardship award.

You cannot claim Council Tax Reduction if:-

  • You are not the liable person on the bill
  • you, or your partner between you, have more than £16,000 in savings (unless you get Pension Credit)  or have other assets or property worth more than £16,000 e.g. a holiday home or caravan

You may be able to get Council Tax Reduction if you are on other benefits, or work part-time or work full-time on a low income, or if you have recently been made redundant. If you have recently claimed Universal Credit, you will claim help with your rent from the Job Centre Plus but you still have to make a separate claim to the council for help with your Council Tax.

Council Tax Reduction is normally awarded from the date the claim is received, up to the 31 March of the following year, to cover the whole period of the bill. If your circumstances change during the year of the award, you must tell us within 21 days and the amount of your reduction will be re-assessed and a revised bill issued. This could affect the amount of your instalments, so please check any bills that are sent to you.

Last Updated on Wednesday, May 8, 2024