Changes to the Council Tax Reduction scheme

The amount of Council Tax Reduction shown on your bill (a deduction from your bill due to low income), may have changed from 1 April. This is for two reasons;

  • A recalculation due to the increase in the net Council Tax payable on the property for the year 2023/34
  • An increase in the income bands of 7.6% in line with changes the Dept. for Work and Pensions will make to most benefits (CPI). This should ensure most remain in the same income band as the previous year.


Claim category for scheme


Pensioner (prescribed) scheme

Households where one or both have reached Pension age

Means-tested based on 100%


Working-age households eligible for a severe disability premium (or SDP transitional protection in UC)



Households in receipt of Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Income-based Jobseekers Allowance or maximum Universal Credit or with income equal to or less than £98.33 per week



Weekly income between  £98.33 and £220.45



Weekly income between £220.46 and £292.30



Weekly income between £292.31 and £399.51



Income cut off point £399.52



What to do if you are struggling to pay your Council Tax bill

  • If you are paying over 10 instalments, you can ask the Council Tax office to spread these over 12 monthly instalments either on-line or by contacting 01909 533234.
  • You can also contact our Money Advice team on 01909 533744 or email One of the advisors will then contact you to offer help and advice and ensure that you are claiming all of the income you are eligible for. They can also refer you to other hardship support, such as extra help due to COVID-19 or other debt support.

Exceptional hardship

If paying your council tax or other housing costs is causing you exceptional financial hardship due to a temporary setback or a change in your circumstances, the Money Advice team may be able to offer you help from the Council Tax discretionary hardship fund. This is a temporary support package to help you whilst your circumstances recover.

If your income has been affected by COVID and you have not let us know, please contact the benefits office on 01909 533710. We will usually need to see documentary evidence of the change in income or circumstances and you may be entitled to extra help.

If you have a balance brought forward from a previous year on your bill and you cannot pay, please do not wait, as the next stage could be a summons and application for a liability order which would add costs to the outstanding balance. Contact the Council Tax office online immediately or email

You can also call us on 01909 533 234 Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm.

Other Help 

A new Council Tax Support Fund 2023/24

The Government will provide a small amount of funding for billing authorities to give all households in England who are in receipt of Council Tax Reduction (benefit) up to an additional £25 discount off their 2023-24 Council Tax bill. This is a one-off council tax additional reduction in response to the cost of living increase. This payment is not a part of the Council’s Council Tax Reduction Scheme, therefore there is no right of appeal.

You do not have to contact us about this, or claim it. If you are eligible, this is automatically deducted from your bill. If your balance after your Council Tax Reduction is applied, is less than £25, we will credit the balance to NIL.

Last Updated on Wednesday, May 8, 2024