When does RIPA apply?
RIPA applies to a wide-range of investigations in which private information might be obtained. Cases in which it can apply include:
- public safety
- emergency services
What RIPA does?
RIPA's guidelines and codes apply to actions such as:
- intercepting communications, such as the content of telephone calls, emails or letters.
- acquiring communications data – the ‘who, when and where’ of communications, such as a telephone billing or subscriber details.
- conducting covert surveillance, either in private premises or vehicles (intrusive surveillance) or in public places (directed surveillance).
- the use of covert human intelligence sources, such as informants or undercover officers.
- access to electronic data protected by encryption or passwords.
Last Updated on Friday, February 4, 2022