The District Council has launched a Blue Plaque Scheme to recognise important people who have lived in Bassetlaw over the centuries.
There is currently only one blue plaque in the district. It is dedicated to Squadron Leader Nowak (funded by the Armed Forces Covenant Fund).
We would be delighted to hear from residents and local groups about other individuals from the district’s past that it is felt should be recognised in this way.
- Consideration will be given to the erection of plaques on buildings associated with famous people who:
- Are likely to be regarded as eminent by a majority of members of their own profession or calling
- Have made some important positive contribution to human welfare or happiness
- Merit local recognition
- Commemoration will not be considered during the subject’s lifetime or within five years of their death.
- Plaques should not be erected on the sites of former houses occupied by famous people.
- Plaques shall only exceptionally be erected on buildings occupied for less than two years by the person being commemorated.
- Plaques will be considered for commemoration of sites of special historical interest.
- A building shall not be marked solely because it figures in a work of fiction.
- Suggestions for plaques will not normally be considered where the person is already commemorated by a plaque, previously erected by the Council or some other local or national organisation.
Last Updated on Wednesday, May 17, 2023