Do I need planning permission?

There are certain types of development and minor changes that you can make to your property without the need to apply for formal planning permission. These rights are called “permitted development rights” under The Town & Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 as amended.

If you propose to make alterations or additions to your dwelling and wish to know if planning permission and/or Building Regulations is required, please Enquire If You Need Planning Permission.

The charge for those enquiries submitted on or after 1 April 2024 is £71.00 (inc VAT).

N.B. If you require more detailed pre-application planning advice in relation to a development proposal, please visit our Pre-Application Advice page.

What service we will provide:

  • We will try to respond in writing within 10 working days, unless we need to contact you for further information (this includes Planning and Building Control replies);
  • We will confirm whether you need to make an application for planning permission and/or building regulations and, if so, why;
  • If you do need permission, we will provide details of what would be required as part of the planning application and how to apply.

You may also wish to look at the national Planning Portal website, which provides planning advice through an Interactive House Guide and Interactive Terrace House Guide.

Taxi Enquiries

The Council receives numerous enquiries regarding the operation of private hire business/vehicles from a residential property. Request to operate a taxi business from your home.

Other application forms

Last Updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024