Selling explosives - Selling explosives

The Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations came into force on 26th April 2005 and largely replaces the Explosives Act 1875, providing regulation to any person planning to keep explosives such as fireworks, safety cartridges or vehicle airbag detonators who are required by law to hold a current registration or Licence from Nottinghamshire County Council Trading Standards Department.

The new regulations refer to the Net Explosive Quantity (NEQ) rather than the gross weight. That is the actual weight of the explosives without the weight of the packaging.


Amounts that don’t need to be registered

If you store less than 5 kg of explosives that don’t require an explosives certificate or less than 15 kg of small arms ammunition, then you don’t need to be registered or licensed. Certain exemptions apply to short term storage of fireworks, please contact Trading Standards for more information:



Last Updated on Friday, December 2, 2022