Scaffolding and hoarding

In order to erect and maintain scaffolding, hoarding or other structures on or over the roads in Nottinghamshire you are required to obtain a licence for each location from Nottinghamshire County Council Highways Authority.

When carrying out any building work/maintenance or removal of any part of a property which is adjacent to the public highway (road, pavement or rear lane), the safety of all users of the highway must be considered.

Scaffolding basic requirements

During the erection or dismantling period, a safe working area at ground level is required to prevent pedestrians gaining access. In the town centre this work is to be carried out outside normal working hours. For example after 6.00 pm or before 8.00 am on a Sunday.

Scaffolding will require illumination unless no part of it is less than 0.45 m (18 inches) from a carriageway in a horizontal direction and no part of it over a footway is less than 2.4 m (8 feet) above it.

Pedestrian walkways must be maintained around the scaffold. If this cannot be arranged, it must be designed to allow access under and through the scaffold safely. For example no trip hazards, no projecting tubes or fittings and it needs to be covered adequately to provide a working platform and prevent materials or debris falling through. Poles must be maintained to enable people in wheelchairs/prams to pass the scaffold safely.

Hoardings basic requirements

  • Hoardings are to be a minimum of 2.5 m high and be able to withstand high winds.
  • Illumination may be required if street lighting is not adequate.
  • They must have a smooth finish with not protruding parts.
  • Pedestrian walkways of satisfactory width are to be maintained or provided and regularly inspected by the contractor.

The County Council has the necessary powers to issue Licences for scaffolding; to require erection of hoardings to separate building works from the street and to ensure hoardings are securely erected. Contravention of these rules is an offence with maximum fines of £5,000 (non-compliance with scaffolding Licence), £1,000 plus £2 per day (contravention of Section 172 of the Act) and £200 plus £1 per day (contravention of Section 173 of the Act).

Copies of the Highways Act 1980 can be purchased from Her Majesty’s Stationery Office or alternatively a copy can be inspected at the County Council offices.

Apply for a licence to erect scaffolding, hoarding and advertising boards

If you want to erect and maintain scaffolding, hoarding or other structures on or over a road you need to obtain a licence. You will need a separate licence for each location. The details of costs and to apply are available on Nottinghamshire County Council.

Last Updated on Thursday, March 7, 2024