Houses in multiple occupation (HMO's)

A house is a HMO if both of the following apply:-

  • at least 3 tenants live there, forming more than 2 households
  • you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants

A household is either a single person or members of the same family who live together.  A family includes people who are:-

  • married or living together - including people in same-sex relationships
  • relatives or half-relatives, eg grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings
  • step-parents and step-children

Do I need a HMO licence?

If you are a landlord and you own a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), you may need a HMO licence.   Not all HMOs need to be licensed.  Under the national mandatory licensing scheme a HMO must be licensed if it has:-

  • Five or more tenants in two or more households, and
  • Shared facilities such as kitchen, bathroom and toilet

Is there a charge?

A fee is payable on application for a HMO licence, but you may get a reduction.

HMO Standards

If you live in a large HMO, your landlord must meet certain standards and obligations.  

The Council is responsible for enforcing HMO standards and can make a landlord take action to correct any problems.

If you would like advice about a HMO please complete our enquiry form.

Last Updated on Monday, June 22, 2020