Disregarded people

Certain people are not counted when looking at the number of adults who are resident. For example, if two people occupy and one person falls into one of the disregard categories listed below (such as being a full time student), the bill will be calculated as if one person is in occupation.

Other Discounts - Disregarded People

Even where there are two or more adults, you could still get the 25% discount if one of the adult residents is disregarded. The following is a list of people who are not counted as a resident; a discount may apply depending on how many people live in the property and how many are classed as disregarded.

People Disregarded Description
Person(s) in Prison Prison sentence must exceed 48 hours and cannot be for non-payment of fines or local taxes.
Person suffering from a severe mental impairment

Anyone who is medically certified as being Severely Mentally Impaired (SMI) and has a permanent condition that severely affects their intellectual and social functioning may be eligible for a Council Tax exemption or discount.

Conditions that can lead to severe mental impairment include Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia, Parkinson’s disease, severe learning difficulties or a stroke, but others may apply.

If all residents are severely mentally impaired a full exemption applies, or if one adult is disregarded as SMI in a household of 2 adults then a 25% disregard discount may be awarded – if there are 2 or more adult residents in the household then no discount is available (except where the household consists of only person(s) who are SMI or can be considered as carers – for more information please contact the council tax unit)

To be eligible, the person(s) must be diagnosed as SMI by a doctor AND they must be receiving one of the benefits listed below:

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (higher or middle rate care component)
  • An increase in disablement pension (as constant attendance is needed)
  • Income support (which includes a disability premium)
  • Employability Supplement or Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment (Daily living at either standard or enhanced)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Universal Credit (In circumstances where a person has limited capability for work/or work related activity)
Person for whom Child Benefit is payable Persons over the age of 18, where someone is still in receipt of Child Benefit for them or under 20 years old and who have recently ceased a relevant course.  These are persons other than Student Nurses, Apprentices or Youth Trainees.
Person who is either a student/student nurse 

Students and Student Nurses on certain full time courses.  If all residents are student the full time exemption applies.  See exemptions.

You will be counted as a Student Nurse if you are on a course leading to registration on any of Parts one to six, or eight on the register. Only Student Nurses studying for first inclusion on the register are not counted.

You are regarded as a full time student for Council Tax purposes if:

  • You are attending a university or college course, or on a distance learning course which lasts for at least one academic year, takes at least 24 weeks a year, and involves at least 21 hours allocated study time per week during term time.
  • You are under the age of 20 years and studying for more than three months, for at least 12 hours per week for any qualification up to 'A' level, ONC or OND standard.
  • Student Nurses studying academic courses at universities or who are on Project 2000 courses are classed as students for Council Tax purposes.

The period of the student's course runs from the day the course begins until it is completed (the end of the exams) or the student leaves the course uncompleted.

To qualify for a discount/exemption from Council Tax as a full time student you had to be studying/attending an educational establishment (college/university) within the UK, and provide a student certificate to confirm the course details.

Now, if you are studying full time (for at least 24 weeks a year and for more than 21 hours per week), at college/university or distance learning with a designated establishment in the UK or within the European Union you may qualify for a council tax discount/exemption.

You still need to supply evidence or confirmation of the length of time of your course and the expected study hours by supplying a student certificate or other documentation. This change to legislation provides some flexibility in awarding discounts/exemptions relating to full-time students who are distance learning anywhere within the European Union, including the UK.

Apprentices & Youth Trainees

Apprentices and Youth Trainees on approved apprenticeship and training schemes.

If you are employed to learn a trade as an apprentice and are undertaking a qualification recognised by the NCVQ. You must be paid a maximum of £195 per week, before tax, and expect to earn substantially more when qualified.

Non-British Dependants of, or Spouse/Partner of Students Non-British dependents or spouse/partner of students who are not allowed to take paid employment, or claim benefits.
Hospital Patients If a patient is living permanently in hospital they may be disregarded.  A full exemption will apply if the property is unoccupied.
Patients in Care Homes or Nursing Homes or Bail/Probation Hostels If a patient is receiving care and living permanently in a Nursing Home, Residential care Home, bail Hostel or Probation Hostel, they may be disregarded.  A full exemption will apply if the property is unoccupied.
Carer or Residential Volunteer Care Worker

Any person who is a Residential Volunteer Care Worker; or people who care for someone (not a Spouse/partner or Child Under 18) may be disregarded. Caring for someone with a disability who is receiving one of certain allowances or a disablement pension.

You must be providing care for 35 hours per week on average. Persons caring for a husband or wife, or living as a husband or wife, or a child under 18 years cannot receive this discount.

Somebody who cares for an elderly person or a person with a disability in return for a payment of up to £44 per week, can also receive a discount.

Homeless or Living in a Hostel or Shelter People who have no fixed address or are currently living in a Hostel or Shelter may be disregarded.
Members of Religious Communities The members of the community must be dependent upon it, with no income or capital of their own.
Members of International Headquarters & Defence Organisations Members and their dependants may be disregarded.
Members of Visiting Forces  members and their dependants may be disregarded if they are not British Citizens.

Please contact the Council if you need further information about any of the above classes of disregarded people.

Last Updated on Wednesday, May 8, 2024