Bassetlaw Community Safety

Community safety is about helping our communities to be and feel safe, whether at home, work, in public spaces or even online. We as a local authority play an important role in working with our professional colleagues, as well as our communities to ensure that the residents, workers and visitors to the Bassetlaw District are able to get the best from their domestic, social and economic lives without fear or hindrance from crime and disorder.

Section 17 of the Crime & Disorder Act (1998) places a statutory duty on relevant authorities to consider the impact they have in exercising their powers and delivering services, and do all they reasonably can to prevent crime and disorder in their area.  Relevant authorities include local authorities, police, health, probation and social housing providers.  Community Safety Partnerships (CSPs) were born from this and the Bassetlaw, Newark & Sherwood CSP covers this area.  This partnership has both a strategic and operational element that meet separately every quarter and feed into each other.

Bassetlaw District Council (BDC) has an Anti-social Behaviour (ASB) Team that focuses on dealing with issues of anti-social behaviour and nuisance, although our Environmental Health and Housing Teams also deal with such complaints, depending on the nature of the issue.  Our ASB Page provides more information on who to report to and how.

All crimes, disorder and ASB involving vandalism, aggressive language or threatening behaviour, physical attacks, drunken behaviour and drug taking or dealing should be reported directly to the police via 101, unless it is an urgent matter as described below.

How to report community safety issues:

  • Dial 999 if someone is seriously ill, injured, or their life is at risk. This will enable you to access the Police, Ambulance and/or Fire Service. You should also call for emergency assistance if there is a crime in progress.
  • Dial 101 if you wish to report an incident or crime to the police that is not in progress or does not require an immediate response. Alternatively you can report online via Do it online | Nottinghamshire Police
  • Dial 111 if you require non-urgent medical assistance or advice.
  • Dial 0800 555111 if you wish to report any crimes anonymously to Crimestoppers or report online to them through the Fearless website - Give info - Fearless

Last Updated on Thursday, September 1, 2022