What Kinds of Things Can I do to Save Water and Energy?
By Saving energy and water you will save money and increase the value of your property.
Reduce the amount of energy that is needed in your home to support your lifestyle. This can be done by:
- Following energy savings tips
- Fitting low energy lighting
- Purchasing appliances that use less energy
- Reduce draughts
- Increase insulation levels
- Adding double/triple glazing
- Shading the building
- Making use of natural ventilation
As per a recent Government initiative, your energy supplier has to offer you a Smart Meter by 2024, free of charge.
Smart Meters help you monitor exactly how much energy your home uses and how much it costs in real time.
They also allow you to spot when your appliances are becoming problematic. For example, if leaving the light on is increasing your energy usage too much, the smart meter will tell you.
Reducing water consumption can be achieved by:
- Using water saving devices
- Installing low flush toilets
- Installing low water showers which draws in air to create pressure for a power shower without using electricity for a pump
- using low water washing machines
- Installing compost toilets
- Collect rainwater and use it to water the garden
- Collect grey water (it is waste water from sinks, baths and showers) and recycle it to flush toilets
Direct Generation of heat
- Efficient boilers (80% efficiency minimum)
- Wood burning boilers (renewable fuel)
- Heat pumps - heat generated from the earth
- Solar water heaters - using the sun to heat water
Direct Generation of electricity
- Combined heat and power boilers - using the steam from heat generation to make power
- Solar Panels - using the sun's energy
- Wind turbines - using wind's energy
Last Updated on Thursday, May 20, 2021