By 2040, Worksop Waterfront will have become a vibrant and welcoming destination attracting visitors during the day and evening. New development, will give the canal a new sense of purpose, with quality commercial, leisure, food/beverage offer, together with new housing will create a vibrant new canalside community. New moorings will provide visitors with an opportunity to stop and explore.
Priorities for Regeneration
- Implement a clear route hierarchy to improve vehicular connectivity to improve traffic flow to and through the town centre;
- Maintain and enhance connectivity for pedestrians and cyclists along the river and canal and within the neighbourhood;
- Improve access for public transport users to the retail core and waterfront;
- Promote opportunities for greater access along the canal for visitors;
- Living and Working
- Support a consolidated retail offer to reflect changing consumer needs;
- Diversify the commercial/leisure offer within the area;
- Grow Worksop’s evening economy to increase footfall and number of visitors;
- Introduce multigenerational, affordable urban living to meet local needs;
- Create a vibrant and attractive leisure and commercial destination;
- Enhance public realm and streetscape to aid legibility;
- Support appropriate town centre parking to meet changing needs including for e-vehicles;
- Make space for water adjacent to the River Ryton to support flood management;
- Facilitate the remediation of brownfield land to benefit water quality;
- Contribute to significant urban biodiversity net gain;
Priory Centre (W29)
The site will be reconfigured as a gateway destination, with a mix of 150 dwellings, retail, commercial, leisure, food and beverage offer, public realm and public car parking.
Bus Depot, Hardy Street (W27)
Redevelopment of the site will create a residential development with 42 apartment dwellings.
Central Avenue Car Park (W28)
Redevelopment of the site will create a residential development with 56 dwellings.
The Canch (W30)
Enhancements will be made to this Green Flag Park, for residents and visitors are well as for wildlife and heritage.
Last Updated on Wednesday, June 9, 2021