Residents, visitors, businesses and community groups in Harworth and Bircotes are being encouraged to be part of a new consultation on the future of their Town Centre.
A Masterplan that outlines some initial visions, ideas and concepts that could help Harworth and Bircotes to grow and thrive over the next 10 to 15 years has been created, with members of the public, in addition to businesses, visitors and other key stakeholders, being asked for their views and comments.
The project is being led by a partnership between Bassetlaw District Council and Harworth and Bircotes Town Council with funding from the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority.
Cllr Jo White, Cabinet Member for Regeneration at Bassetlaw District Council, said:
"This is a growing town which will need a Town Centre that reflects the new energy and life in the area. The Harworth and Bircotes Masterplan is a vision for the future and it needs local people to take a look and decide if it meets their ambitions and ideas. This is their chance to have their say about what happens next with Harworth and Bircotes Town Centre."
Cllr June Evans, Chair of Harworth and Bircotes Town Council and Ward Member for Harworth, said: “The Masterplan is a blueprint for the future Town Centre. We have to consider how best the Town Centre can serve the local community, which is why it is so important we consult with as many people as possible.
It is an ambitious plan, there are many issues to address, and it won’t happen overnight. But it will deliver a vibrant, versatile and attractive town centre designed to meet the needs of local residents.”
The initial concepts for the Harworth and Bircotes Masterplan can be found on the District Council’s website and include:
- Creating a green heart for Harworth and Bircotes and improve links to these open spaces and natural habitats. This could help to improve the long-term health and well-being for residents and visitors.
- Repurposing derelict buildings to meet the housing demand for people over the age of 55 who would benefit from living closer to the town centre with easier access to the amenities and services on offer.
- Making the High Street more of a destination that will meet the future needs of residents and visitors, altering the traffic flow and creating dedicated cycle lanes, in addition to creating additional accommodation, improving poor quality buildings and creating more opportunities for local businesses.
- Creating additional and alternative options for the Town Square, Town Hall and main car park, in addition to relocating some services to make them more accessible.
- Creating additional space for businesses to expand and new businesses and start-ups across a wide sector to move into, creating high quality job opportunities in the town centre, and providing new leisure, retail and entertainment options, community services and additional car parking.
View these initial concepts in full and to be part of the consultation. You can also view the Masterplan and any associated documents at Harworth and Bircotes Town Hall from week commencing 20 September.
A number of in person consultations will also be taking place in the following locations, dates and times:
- Tuesday 21 September, 8am to 1pm – Harworth & Bircotes Market
- Thursday 23 September, 10am to 12noon – Harworth & Bircotes Town Hall Coffee Shop
- Tuesday 28 September, 8am to 1pm – Harworth & Bircotes Market
- Saturday 2 September, 10am to 3pm - Harworth & Bircotes Market
- Sunday 3 September, 10am to 3pm - Harworth & Bircotes Market
- Tuesday 5 October, 8am to 1pm - Harworth & Bircotes Market
- Tuesday 12 October, 8am to 1pm - Harworth & Bircotes Market
- Thursday 14 October, 5pm Harworth Youth Centre, Bircotes Leisure Centre
- Tuesday 19 October, 8am to 1pm - Harworth & Bircotes Market
- Tuesday 26 October, 8am to 1pm - Harworth & Bircotes Market
The public consultation period begins on Monday 20 September and will last for six weeks, ending on Sunday 31 October.
Last Updated on Friday, October 29, 2021