Have your say on council tax reduction scheme



Bassetlaw District Council is consulting on the options available for the Local Council Tax Reduction (CTR) scheme for 2019 - 20 following ongoing reductions in funding from the Government.

Formerly known as Council Tax Benefit, CTR is a means tested scheme to help people in financial need to pay their Council Tax.

The last consultation on the scheme took place in September 2016 and led to the Council providing a 88% reduction in Council Tax for eligible claimants, meaning that they only the remaining 12% was payable.

The 2019 - 20 Bassetlaw scheme is estimated to cost approximately £7.8m, which will be made up of funding from the Government and Council Tax receipts. However, since 2013 the Government has reduced Bassetlaw’s Revenue Support Grant - the amount of funding it gives to Councils - with the aim of removing this grant by 2020.

Therefore, a review of the scheme is taking place in order to ensure it is both fair and affordable for the future and Bassetlaw residents have an opportunity to have their say.

The Consultation is available until 5pm on the 19 October 2018 and you can take part online or by picking up or requesting a hard copy from reception at the Council Offices in Worksop or Retford.

Cllr Kevin Dukes, Cabinet Member for Co-operatives and Corporate Services said:

“Our Council Tax Reduction scheme has to be both affordable and fair and as we deal with further reductions in Government funding, we need to review the scheme to deliver these aims. I urge everybody to have their say by taking part in the consultation.”

Last Updated on Tuesday, February 12, 2019