Personal licence - Personal licence

All sales of alcohol must be made by, or under the authority of, a Personal Licence Holder. Not everyone who makes a sale has to hold a Personal Licence, so long as a Personal Licence Holder has authorised the sale. This does not apply to alcohol sold under a Temporary Event Notice or a Club Premises Certificate

To get a Personal Licence you must:

  • be over 18
  • possess an approved licensing qualification
  • pay the required of £37.00
  • Not have forfeited a personal licence within the last 5 years
  • Not have been convicted of a relevant or foreign offence

A person who holds a Personal Licence is needed to supervise the sale of alcohol in any premises. You can apply for a Personal Licence to the Council for the area in which you live. This will then remain with the Council responsible for continuing to licence you, even if you move away from the area.

There are various duties on holders of a Personal Licence, and a Court can forfeit their licence if they are convicted of any relevant offences (relevant offences as listed in the Licensing Act).

Applications for a Personal Licence must be made to the Council in whose district the applicant lives.

More than one Personal Licence Holder can work at the same premises.

Applicants may also choose to become a Personal Licence Holder if they wish to apply for more than five Temporary Event Notice’s in a year (but otherwise would not require one).





Last Updated on Friday, May 21, 2021