Flooding advice and information - The Council's role

Over recent years there has been an increase in the risk of flood or drought conditions throughout the UK. Although we are aware of this fact, it may never be possible technically or financially to introduce measures that are sufficient to prevent this from happening.

What is the Council's Role?

The Council works together with its partner agencies to respond to emergency situations brought about by flooding or drought.

Nottinghamshire County Council lead on the management of flood risk in Nottinghamshire. They work alongside partners to manage flooding from local sources: surface water, ordinary watercourses and groundwater.

What can I do to protect myself from flooding?

Making your property resilient to floodwater will limit the distress and damage caused by flooding, which means less costly repairs and less time out of your home or business premises. If you are a homeowner, it is your responsibility to protect your property from flooding.

The following websites have information which will help you prepare for and protect yourself from flooding.

Download the Environment Agency’s guide to preparing your property for flooding

Visit the Blue Pages directory to see what products and services are available to help protect your property. 

If you live in an area that is known to be at risk or has been flooded in the past, make sure that you know what to do should it happen again. You can also sign up to the Environment Agencies Floodline Warnings Direct.


Ensure you have home insurance in place to cover both building (unless rented) and contents.

If you have buildings cover, your insurer will dry, clean, repair and restore your home. If you have contents cover, your insurer will dry, clean and restore your possessions or replace or pay for any possessions that cannot be cleaned up or repaired.

Further information on insurance when living in a flood risk area can be found on the GOV.UK website.




Last Updated on Friday, November 15, 2019