Don't Wait for it to Happen Before You Decide on a Plan
- Stay calm and be prepared
- Contact Environment Agency Flood Line on 0845 988 1188 for advice
- If you are prone to flooding contact Notts Highways (if you live in Bassetlaw) and report any blocked surface water drains.
- Prepare an Emergency Flood Pack
- Familiarise yourself with gas and electricity isolation points.
- Prepare an overnight bag in case you have to evacuate your home
- Protect low level doorways and vents with boards and / or sandbags. Remember to remove these before using gas equipment.
- If possible remove vulnerable furnishings, valuables, items of sentimental value, important documents and food supplies etc to an upper floor.
- Check on any elderly or infirm relatives and neighbours to determine if they might need assistance
During a Flood
- Keep calm – If in danger contact 999
- Turn off gas and electricity supplies
- If trapped remain near a window where you can be seen
- Follow instructions given by emergency services
- Be prepared to evacuate to a place of safety
- Do not wade through flood waters as depth and currents can be deceiving
- DO NOT switch gas or electricity supply back on until it has been checked
- DO NOT use food that has been in contact with flood water
- ALWAYS assume that flood water contains sewage
- Thoroughly clean and disinfect all items soiled by flood water
- Always use waterproof gloves when cleaning flood soiled items
- Contact your insurer.
Other Useful Websites
More detailed advice and information about floods and drought conditions can be found at:
Last Updated on Friday, November 15, 2019