Financial support - Flood recovery grants and discounts



Government Community and Business Recovery Grants

What is this for?

If you have been affected by the recent floods you can apply for a recovery grant to help with your immediate needs.

The Community Recovery Grant is for residential properties and is being administered by Bassetlaw District Council:

  • The grant is up to £500 and paid direct to the household.
  • Households are eligible where flood water has entered the property, or the residence is considered unlivable for any period of time due to flooding.
  • The grant does not apply to empty homes, second homes or student accommodation.

The Business Recovery Grant is for business premises and is being administered by Nottinghamshire County Council:

  • The grant is up to £2,500 per small / medium sized business affected, as a grant paid direct to the business.
  • Businesses are eligible where the business is directly impacted or has directly suffered a loss of trade as a result of the flooding that cannot be recovered from insurance.
  • You can apply for the Business Recovery Grant by getting in touch with the County Council

What we need from you

We will ask you to provide details about you, your affected property and bank account details so that we can consider your claim and make payment to you if you are eligible.

What you should expect from us

Once submitted, we will determine whether you are eligible for the grant payment. If successful, payment will be made to the bank account details provided on your claim as soon as possible. We may need to contact you if we cannot give you the grant payment, or if further information is required to process your claim.

Council Tax Discount Scheme

If you have been forced to move out of your home as a result of the recent floods, you will receive 100% discount on your Council Tax for a minimum of three months – this means you do not have to pay Council Tax during this period.

After three months, if you have not been able to return home, you may not have to pay Council Tax until you move back. If you are not able to move back into your home after three months, please tell us so that this discount may be extended.

You may also be able to claim a discount on any Council Tax that you are paying on a second or rented property that you are living in as a result of not being able to live in your home.
In order to claim this discount, flood water must have entered your property or if you were not able to live in your home due to flood water.

Second homes or empty homes at the time of the flood will not be eligible.

Nottinghamshire County Council's support for residents and businesses affected by recent flooding

Nottinghamshire County Council has announced a hardship fund which has been made available to help residents and businesses affected by the recent flooding in the county.

A number of communities were affected after almost a month’s worth of rain fell across Nottinghamshire in just two days, closing many roads and causing widespread disruption.

The county council has set up the Nottinghamshire Floods Hardship Fund for Residents and the Nottinghamshire Floods Business Hardship Fund.

Residents who were evacuated or whose homes flooded will be eligible to apply for a one-off payment of £120.

Small or micro businesses with up to 49 employees, whose premises were flooded will be eligible to apply for an emergency payment of £300 to help them cope with immediate, short-term loss of income.

To apply for either the residents’ fund or business fund people can ring the county council’s contact centre on 0300 500 8080.

Flooding advice links




Last Updated on Monday, January 27, 2020