Reporting accidents and incidents at work - Reporting

What Must Be Reported?


How To Report

Online - Report An Incident by completing the appropriate online report form. The form will then be submitted directly to the RIDDOR database. You will receive a copy for your records

Telephone - All incidents can be reported online but a telephone service remains for reporting fatal and major injuries ONLY. Call the incident contact centre on 0845 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30 to 5 pm)


Why Report and Record?

Reporting and recording is a legal requirement. The report informs the enforcing authorities local authorities and the HSE) about deaths, injuries, occupational diseases and dangerous occurrences so they can identify where and how risks arise, and whether they need to be investigated. This allows local authorities and the HSE to target their work and provide advice about how to avoid work-related deaths, injuries, ill health and accidental loss.

Records of incidents covered by RIDDOR are also important. They ensure that you collect the minimum amount of information to allow you to check that you are doing enough to ensure safety and prevent occupational diseases. This information is a valuable management tool that can be used as an aid to risk assessment, helping to develop solutions to potential risks. In this way, records also help to prevent injuries and ill health, and control costs from accidental loss.

You must keep a record of:

  • any reportable death, injury, occupational disease or dangerous occurrence; and
  • all occupational accidents and injuries that result in a worker being away from work or incapacitated for more than three consecutive days (not counting the day of the accident but including any weekends or other rest days).

You must produce RIDDOR records when asked by local authority or HSE inspectors.




Last Updated on Thursday, September 3, 2020

Related Items



Related Items