Responsibility for drains


The owners/occupiers of a house are solely responsible for maintaining a private drain, clearing blockages and repairing any faults in it. However they are only able to commission work within the private drain, they have no authority to commission work within the lateral drain without first contacting their Water and Sewerage company, such as Severn Trent, for confirmation on how to proceed.


Ownership of most sewers and lateral drains which connect to the public sewer system is with the water and sewerage companies that cover England and Wales, such as Severn Trent. Therefore they are responsible for the maintenance of these sewers and lateral drains. If blockages or defects occur in these pipes, then you should contact your local water and sewerage company. Please check with your local water and sewerage company, as there may be exemptions to what they are responsible for.

Who do I contact?

There are two companies that serve in Bassetlaw, these are Severn Trent Water and Anglian Water.



Last Updated on Thursday, November 3, 2022