Drainage explained - Why does the council become involved?

Why does the council become involved? - Enforcing Statutory Drainage Legislation

If a blockage or defect occurs in a drain or private sewer and it is not rectified, the council has legal powers that enable it to require the clearance of any blockage, or the undertaking of any necessary repair works, so as to prevent conditions prejudicial to health arising.

This may include the service of a notice. Failure to comply with such a notice is an offence and can lead to prosecution. If the works detailed in the notice are not carried out, the council may also undertake the works and recover their costs, plus an administration charge, from those responsible.

Household insurance may cover the costs of any such works providing it is not due to normal wear and tear. If repairs are required you should let your insurance company know as soon as possible.

This information has set out some of the issues, which often arise concerning drains and sewers. If you are unclear as to who has responsibility for drains and sewers in your area please complete anĀ Environment Health Enquiry.



Last Updated on Friday, April 12, 2019