Any unattended dog in a public place is classed as a stray dog. If the Dog Warden finds a stray dog, he will collect it and take it to the Council’s appointed holding kennels at Carlton Forest Boarding Kennels.
If you have lost a dog, we may be able to locate it. Please telephone the Dog Warden service on 01909 533533. All dogs found by the warden or handed into him by the public are scanned for a Microchip and the registered owner contacted wherever possible. The warden will then use his discretion in deciding whether to return the dog directly to the owner or to kennel the dog and inform the owner.
Bassetlaw District Council's Registered Holding Kennel is Carlton Forest Boarding Kennels (contact details below).
Usually if the dog is not a recognised “regular roamer” the warden will attempt to return the dog, providing that it is carrying an identity tag and/or a microchip.
Please be aware it is a legal requirement to have a collar and tag on any dog in a public place showing the name and address of the owner, even if the dog is microchipped
What if the Dog Warden has not got my Dog?
You can also contact the following organisations:-
- Nottinghamshire Police Tel: 101
- Doglost (internet based registration scheme)
- Local animal shelters
- Neighbouring Council’s Dog Wardens
- Newark & Sherwood District Council (Telephone: 01636 655571)
- Bolsover District Council (Telephone: 01246 242424)
- Mansfield District Council (Telephone: 01623 463463)
- Rotherham Borough Council (Telephone: 01709 336003)
- West Lindsey District Council (Telephone: 01427 676676)
Last Updated on Wednesday, August 28, 2019