Help, Advice & Support Services

Domestic Abuse Services in Bassetlaw


Name Contact Details
Nottinghamshire Women's Aid Website:
Telephone: 01909 491 330
Equation (support for all victims of crime) Website:
Telephone: 0115 9623 237
Juno Women's Aid Website:
Telephone: 0808 800 0340
National Domestic Violence Helpline (Female) Telephone: 0808 200 0247
Men's Advice Line (Males) Telephone: 0808 801 0325
National LGBT Domestic Violence Helpline (Same-sex relationships) Telephone: 0800 999 5428 
Nottinghamshire Police Emergencies: 999
Non-emergencies: 101
Nottinghamshire County Council Website:
Telephone: 0300 500 80 80
Citizens Advice Bureau Website
Telephone: 0300 456 83 69
Bassetlaw District Council Website:
Telephone: 01909 533 533
Universal Credit Helpline Telephone: 0800 328 56 44
Turn2Us Website:
Centreplace Website:
Telephone:  01909 479 191
HOPE Website:
North Notts Support Partnership Website:
Refuge Website:
National Women's Aid Website:
Nottinghamshire Rape Crisis Website:
Notts Help Yourself Website:
Safe Spaces Website:



Seeking help for domestic abuse does NOT automatically mean you will have to leave your home, all situations are different, we can help & advise:


Staying in your home:

If you are subjected to domestic abuse but want to stay in your home, there are a number of options that may be available to you:

  • Apply for a court order (known as an injunction) against the person who is abusing you. The injunction can protect you or your child from being harmed or threatened by the person who has abused you (a ‘non-molestation order’) or decide who can live in the family home or enter the surrounding area (an ‘occupation order’).  Even if you do not own or rent the property you are living in, you can still apply for an injunction. (see website for more details).  If your income is low, you may be entitled to ‘legal aid’ to help with the costs of this.
  • Apply for a Domestic Violence Protection Notice/Order against the person who is abusing you; this can prevent them from returning to the home and grants the police and magistrates’ courts time to put protective measures in place. This can be done in the immediate aftermath of a domestic violence incident, where there is insufficient evidence to charge a perpetrator and provide protection to a victim via bail conditions.
  • Request a referral to the Council’s Sanctuary Scheme. If your referral is accepted, you could get measures installed at your address such as additional lighting and locks, fire proof letterbox or external door, secure gates/fencing etc. to make your home safer internally and externally.
  • Contact domestic abuse charities who can provide someone to talk to, support and access to legal advice such as Nottinghamshire Women’s Aid ( National Domestic Violence Helpline or Men’s Advice Line
  • Visit the Council’s website

Moving Out Of Your Home - Staying Safe

If you are subjected to domestic abuse and need to move out of your home to a safer place, there are a number of options that may be available to you:

  • Contact local support organisation’s such as Nottinghamshire Women’s Aid or the National Domestic Violence Helpline who can help you plan your move safely. They can advise of your rights and options and find a space in a specialist refuge in another part of the country where you can live safely and be supported to settle.
  • Contact your landlord to see if they can offer a move to an alternative property (Council’s and Registered Providers will have a policy in place to deal with this type of situation).
  • Apply as a homeless person to any Council in England. If it is not reasonable for you to remain in your present home and you have nowhere else to go, if you are in priority need, the Council can provide you with emergency accommodation in a safe area whilst they try to work with you to find more settled accommodation elsewhere.  You will be in priority need if you have children or are pregnant, the Council may also consider you to be in priority need if you are vulnerable because of your circumstances and needs.
  • If the Council accepts you are homeless, you will be owed what is called “a relief duty” and you will be given a ‘Personalised Housing Plan’ which will outline the steps that both you and the Council are required to take to relieve your homeless situation.  The Council will work with you for a period of 56 days, or until you secure a new home.  If it is not possible to find a new home during this ‘relief period’, you may be accepted as homeless and owed a full housing duty.
  • If you need to leave your home quickly, try to make sure you have essentials with you such as a change of clothes, toiletries, medication and important items such as your passport, bank and credit cards and mobile phone. You do not have to make any decisions about giving up your home permanently until you have obtained advice about your rights from a Solicitor, the Council or specialist advice agency such as Nottinghamshire Women’s Aid.

Last Updated on Monday, November 27, 2023