Introduced in 2019, this relief provided a discount of one third of the Business Rates bill. Available to occupied retail properties with rateable values of less than £51,000.
In response to the covid-19 emergency the Government have announced that qualifying retail businesses will pay no Business rates for the year 2020/21.
In response to the continued covid-19 emergency the Government have announced that additional business rates support would be provided for eligible retail, hospitality, leisure and nursery business in England occupying a qualifying property and announced that for the year 2021/22:
- The Expanded Retail Discount (2020/21) will be extended for three months for eligible properties, at 100% relief, uncapped, for the period 1 April 2021 to 30 June 2021.
- From 1 July 2021 to 31 March 2022, the Expanded Retail Discount would apply at 66% relief for eligible properties in the scheme, with a cash cap of £2m for businesses that were required to close as at 5 January 2021, and up to £105,000 for business permitted to open at that date.
- The Nursery Discount 2021 would also be extended for three months, at 100%, uncapped, for the period 1 April 2021 to 30 June 2021.
- From 1 July 2021 to 31 March 2022 the Nursery Discount would apply at 66% relief for eligible properties, with a cash cap of £105,000.
- For the Expanded Retail Discount 2021/22 and Nursery Discount 2021/22, businesses may choose to opt out of support by providing billing authorities notification of their request to refuse support, per eligible hereditament.
For 2021/22 there have been no reliefs or discounts announced in respect of pubs at this time.
A £1000 discount will be available for 2020/21 for pubs with a rateable value of less than £100,000.
On the 11th March the Government increased this discount from £1,000 to £5,000.
Local newspaper office discount
The Government has extended this discount to apply for an additional 5 years, until 31st March 2025.
The discount amount is £1500 and is available for office space occupied by local newspapers.
There is no need to apply for any of the above discounts; they will be credited to your bill if you are eligible. You must inform us if the award of any relief means that you will receive more than £200,000 in state aid in a 3-year period (consisting of the last 2-years and 2020/21).
Last Updated on Thursday, April 15, 2021