To help improve our local area we gave you the opportunity to have your say on Retford.
We wanted to know what you liked about living in the town and what you felt needed improving.
To do this we ran a 6 week consultation period including online surveys and an event at Retford Town Hall.
We received a staggering 2,626 individual comments from a total of 246 residents who took part.
Here is a summary of what you told us
Over 150 of you attended our event at Worksop Town Hall in March 2015. This was a great opportunity for the public to speak to council officers, ask questions and discuss the future of our town.
You spoke, we listened
- Most people think Worksop is a safe and friendly place to live
- Locals welcome the new bus station
- A night-time economy is needed
- Many of you think shop fronts need improving and empty premises reduced
- There are still issues with parking in the town centre
- People would like to see a better variety of shops, especially high end businesses
- The council should focus on reusing brownfield sites before building on greenfield sites
Worksop in General
- 3 in 5 people think there isn’t enough affordable housing in Worksop
- 7 in 10 people feel there aren’t enough job opportunities in the area
- Many people like living near the countryside
- Many of you enjoy using local services such as the Savoy Cinema and Clumber Park
In your local area
- Most respondents disliked dog fouling and littering
- Many would like to see footpaths and cycle paths improved
- People like being close to the countryside
- Many enjoy the quietness and open space in their neighbourhood
- Junctions on Gateford Road at Raymoth Lane and Ashes Park Avenue need improving
In the Town Centre
- The majority of residents visit Worksop town centre on a daily or weekly basis
- Most people use the town centre for shopping along with work, banking & leisure
- 7 in 10 of you think that the town centre has too few shops
- 2 out of 3 respondents thought the appearance of shop fronts were bad or very bad
- Many of you think the town centre needs cleaning up to a better standard
- Most people didn’t think the council should resurface Bridge Street
- Over half Of respondents thought there was a good amount of signage
- 80%said the council should prioritise restoring Worksop’s historic buildings
- People would like to see better shops and restaurants
View the infographic explaining what the people of bassetlaw would like to see where they live. Worksop Futures 2015 - What you told us!
This document may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.
Last Updated on Tuesday, October 13, 2020