The Council invited The Prince’s Regeneration Trust (PRT) to chair a Workshop to review the existing character of the townscape of Retford and to explore opportunities for future enhancement.
The report (please note this report has been written by an external organisation) written by PRT from this event captures the principal conclusions of the tour and discussions. It does not seek to duplicate a historical account of the town as this is well written up elsewhere but it does offer an overview of opportunities for enhancement of the townscape. The findings and recommendations contained within the report will be used by officers in exploring the future regeneration options for the town.
Retford Futures Consultation Feedback
To help improve our local area we gave you the opportunity to have your say on Retford.
We wanted to know what you liked about living in the town and what you felt needed improving.
To do this we ran a 6 week consultation period including online surveys and an event at Retford Town Hall.
We received a staggering 2,626 individual comments from a total of 246 residents who took part.
Here is a summary of what you told us
Over 80 of you attended our event at Retford Town Hall in 2015. This was a great opportunity for the public to speak to council officers, ask questions and discuss the future of our town. These are some of the issues raised on the day.
You spoke, we listened
- Many of you spend time visiting the town centre and markets
- Road networks and speeding traffic are issues
- There is a need for better public transport to rural areas
- There are still empty shops in the town centre
- There is not enough parking around the train station
- Many of you think more could be done with the Market Square and Goodwin Hall
- The council should focus on reusing brownfield sites before building on greenfield sites
Retford in General
- 3 in 5 people think there is enough affordable housing in Retford
- Less than 1 in 10 people feel there are enough job opportunities in the area
- Many people like living in a market town
- Many of you enjoy local services such as Kings Park
In your local area
- Most respondents disliked dog fouling and littering
- Many would like to see footpaths and cycle paths improved
- Many enjoy the quietness and open space in their local area
- People like living close to the countryside
- Improvements in access to and from the train station and rural areas are needed
In the Town Centre
- Many of you like the traditional market town feel and independent shops
- Most people use the town centre for shopping along with work, banking & leisure
- 7 in 10 of you think that the town centre has too few shops
- 8 out of 10 respondents thought the appearance of shop fronts were good or very good
- Many of you dislike parking charges
- Most people didn’t think the council should resurface Carolgate
- 7 in 10 of respondents thought there was a good amount of signage
- 75% said the council should prioritise restoring Retford’s historic buildings
- People would like to see a better choice of shops
View the infographic explaining what the people of bassetlaw would like to see where they live. Retford Futures 2015 - What you told us!
This document may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.
Last Updated on Tuesday, October 13, 2020