Appeal against a benefits decision - What if they are not happy with the councils decision?

Important Notes

Only the claimant can ask the Council to revise a decision concerning the calculation of their entitlement. The landlord or agent can only ask the Council to revise a decision about whether payment should be made direct to them and/or whether the decision to recover an overpayment from a landlord or agent has been correctly made. If the Council has reduced Housing Benefit at the claimant’s new address, in order to recover an overpayment which occurred at the previous address, the landlord of the new address cannot appeal this decision. This is because they were not a person affected by the original decision and the claimant would need to make up the difference in rent.



Last Updated on Friday, April 12, 2019