Appeal against a benefits decision - Appeal Against A Benefits Decision

Appeal Against A Benefits Decision

The (Decision and Appeals) Regulations 2001 state that any 'person affected' by a relevant decision can ask the Council to revise its decision. It also states that a person affected can appeal against the Council's benefit decision to an independent appeal tribunal.

A person affected can ask the Council to provide a written Statement of Reasons about a relevant decision it has made regarding Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction. If you require an explanation about the rent element award of Universal Credit, you would need to contact the Department for Work & Pensions on 0800 328 5644.

The Statement of Reasons does not affect your right to appeal. The statement will explain how the Council reached its decision. The time taken for the Council to provide the statement may extend the time limit for requesting a revision or seeking an appeal to the Tribunal.

A “relevant decision” is any matter or outcome concerning a claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, for example: the amount of benefit payable, the rent eligible for benefit, the calculation of a claimant’s income or the calculation and recovery of an overpayment. Some decisions, mainly administrative decisions, do not carry a right of appeal. You will be notified if the matter you are disputing does not carry the right of appeal. A request for a revision means that the Council will look again at its decision regarding a claim for benefit and will make sure that it has been done correctly.

An appeal means that a Tribunal, independent of the Council and the Dept. for Work and Pensions, will consider the Council's decision.



Last Updated on Monday, July 30, 2018