Private Hire Vehicles cannot ply for hire in the
street or at taxi ranks. Journeys must be pre-booked, normally by
phone or in person at an operators office. Failure to do so is an
offence and invalidates the vehicle's insurance cover. Fares for
private hire vehicles are not regulated by the Council - the cost
of a journey will normally be based on a rate per mile or should be
agreed with the company before the journey.
Private Hire Vehicles licensed by the Council
must display a yellow plate on the rear and a smaller internal
plate. Roof signs are not permitted. Private Hire drivers must also
wear an ID badge issued by the Council, which includes his/her
There are many different laws affecting
proprietors and vehicles but the main Acts of Parliament covering
the licensing of Private Hire Vehicles are contained in Part II of
the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.
This Act says we cannot limit the number of
vehicle licences and must grant a vehicle licence if we are
- Your car is suitable in type, size and
design for use as a private hire vehicle (see technical
- Your car does not look like a
- Your car is mechanically suitable. The
mechanical condition is to be conformed by a detailed inspection
- Your car is insured for private hire
- Your car is constructed and adapted to
seat no more than 8 passengers.
- You are responsible for the keeping and
running of the vehicle either solely or in partnership with other
- You have been honest in supplying
information to us and must not, under any circumstances, make a
false statement at any time to obtain your vehicle licence. This is
a serious offence.
Technical specifications for private hire vehicles
There are many different makes and styles of
vehicle on the road today. Not all vehicles would be suitable for
use as a private hire vehicle and the Council has therefore
approved certain standards to guide proprietors on the type of
vehicle considered suitable bearing in mind public comfort/safety
and the legal requirements previously mentioned.
The specifications we apply to vehicles are as
- That your vehicle is in an immaculate condition both
mechanically and cosmetically.
- That your vehicle is no older than five years on initial
- That your vehicle is right hand drive. We will not accept any
"conversions" from left to right hand drive under any
circumstances. The vehicle must not have less than four road
- That your vehicle (if a car) has a minimum of 4 doors giving
adequate access and egress from the vehicle. The design of the car
can be saloon, hatchback or estate.
- That your vehicle has a wheelbase (when measured from the
centre of the front wheel to the centre of the rear wheel) of at
least 2540mm (100 inches).
- That your vehicle has a back seat width (when measured in a
continuous line from edge to edge) of at least 1220mm (48
- That your vehicle provides easy access from a door to any
passenger seat and no "tip up" seat mechanism shall be
- That your vehicle is constructed or adapted to carry a minimum
of 4 passengers in comfort.
- That your vehicle (if a minibus or "people mover") has
sufficient doors of sufficient size to allow passengers to get in
and out quickly and safely.
- It is a requirement of the Council that seat belts be provided
for all persons, irrespective of age, and according to the licensed
capacity of the vehicle.
- The licence number shall be displayed both on the outside and
inside of the vehicle on the official plates provided.
What information must you provide to us?
To help us consider your application it is our
policy for you to show us:
- That the proprietor (or company) making the application has an
operating base within Bassetlaw District Council's area.
- That the proprietor making the application holds a private hire
driver's licence issued by this authority.
- That you can produce the following documents:
- Vehicle registration document - we cannot process your
application without seeing this document.
- MOT Certificate (if applicable).
- Policy or cover note of insurance covering the vehicle for
"public and/or private use" for you and/or your drivers.
- That the appropriate fee is paid (details on request).
A copy of the relevant legislation can be viewed
at the Council Offices where you can also obtain an application
form and a copy of our standard conditions and vehicle
Last Updated - 02/08/2011