The Government has placed a duty on Local Authorities to bring
empty homes back in to use. In response to this, Bassetlaw District
Council are developing an Empty Homes Strategy, which will focus on
bringing long term empty homes in the private sector back in to
There are many consequences of long term empty properties, such
- Wasted housing resources for the Local Authority, which in turn
puts additional pressure on waiting lists for local authority
- A focus for anti-social behaviour, including fly tipping
- Wasted opportunities for the owner, for example, rental
- Deterioration of the property, which in turn may cause damage
to the neighbouring property
- Property becomes an eyesore, potentially lowering its value and
the value of the surrounding properties
- Negative impacts on local business and fewer people wanting to
locate to the area, starting a spiral of economic and social
- Greater demand on Police and Fire Services
- Council Tax Premium of an additional 50%
- Bassetlaw District Council’s Private Sector Housing team may be
able to help you bring your Empty Home back in to use
We have a number of initiatives:
- Information leaflet and signposting for owners considering
becoming a landlord for the first time.
- Technical advice on repairs or renovations needed in order to
bring a property up to a lettable for saleable standard.
- Managing agency service whereby the Council/A1 Housing will let
manage the property on behalf of the owner for a management fee.
(The property needs to be 'strategically relevant' ie able to meet
the needs of the council's waiting list).
- Empty Homes grants up to £1k for an owner planning to move into
the property themselves, up to £7k for owners wishing to sell or
let the property and up to £12k if the property is accepted on to
the managing agency scheme. (Subject to a qualifying criteria and
the availability of funding).
- Link owners of empty properties with private developers.*
* We are keen to hear from developers who are interested in
going on a list that we can make available to owners seeking to
dispose of their empty property.
If you would like to discuss any of the above in more detail
then please contact the Private Sector Housing Team on 01909 533161
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any concerns about the state of an empty property
and would like to report it then please contact Environmental
Health on 01909 533219
Last Updated - 28/05/2013