You are here:
Government Departments and Nottinghamshire County Council
- Department of Culture, Media and Sport
- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Historic England
- Nottinghamshire County Council
Designated Heritage Assets
- National Heritage List for England (Historic England) – Full and searchable database of all nationally designated heritage assets, including Listed Buildings, Scheduled Ancient Monuments and Registered Parks & Gardens.
- Heritage at Risk Register (Historic England) – Covering Grade I and II* Listed buildings, Conservation Areas, Scheduled Ancient Monuments and Registered Parks & Gardens.
- Magic - The first web-based interactive map to bring together geographic information on key environmental schemes and designations in one place.
- Bassetlaw Museum Historic Photograph Collection – Covering most settlements in Bassetlaw.
- Picture the Past - Historic Photographs – Covering most settlements in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.
- Britain From Above - Historic aerial photographs covering many sites in Bassetlaw.
- Nottinghamshire Archives – Contains most of Bassetlaw’s tithe maps, enclosure maps, estate maps, Ordnance Survey maps and others.
- Old Maps – Historical map archive covering England, Wales and Scotland.
- Old Maps Online – Various historic maps, including the c1840 County Series Nottinghamshire map.
- Retford Library – Holds paper copies of various historical maps of the Retford area.
- Worksop Library – Holds paper copies of various historical maps of the Worksop area (including the 1865 Gas Maps).
Archives, Historic Information and Research
- Bassetlaw Museum – Archives include a large collection of late-19th/early-20th century building plans from across the entire district (please contact the museum for further information).
- Nottinghamshire Archives – The county’s main archive, containing historic maps and plans, court records, parish records, ecclesiastical records, school records and District/ Borough/County Council records.
- University of Nottingham (Manuscripts and Special Collections) – Large archive of material including manuscripts, maps, ecclesiastical records, manorial records and estate records of some of Nottinghamshire’s leading families.
- Nottinghamshire History – A vast source of books and articles on the history of the County, covering many of Bassetlaw’s settlements.
- The Nottinghamshire Heritage Gateway – A guide to heritage resources within the county.
- Retford Library – Extensive archive of maps, books, articles and photographs.
- Worksop Library – Extensive archive of maps, books, articles, photographs and 19th & 20th century local newspapers.
- British Library – Vast online resource, including extensive catalogues of locally-significant manuscripts and other material. Also includes fully searchable archive of local 19th century newspapers - Nottinghamshire Libraries login details required).
- Sheffield City Archives – Extensive collection of material relating to Nottinghamshire, including the Arundel Castle Manuscripts (Dukes of Norfolk).
- Doncaster Archives & Local Studies – Archive material relating to the North Nottinghamshire/Yorkshire border area.
- Rotherham Archives & Local Studies Service – Archive material relating to the North Nottinghamshire/Yorkshire border area.
- Derbyshire Record Office – Archive material relating to the North Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border area.
- National Archives – Catalogues most resources held within official town, city and county archives (including Nottinghamshire).
Local History Societies
- The Thoroton Society – Nottinghamshire’s principal historical and archaeological society, established in 1897
- Shireoaks & District Local History Group - email: firstname.lastname@example.org
National heritage groups, societies and funding sources:
- Council for British Archaeology
- English Historic Towns Forum
- Funds for Historic Buildings – The directory of funding sources for repairs to historic buildings
- HLF (Heritage Lottery Fund)
- IHBC (Institute of Historic Building Conservation)
- Listed Building Owners Club
- Save Britain’s Heritage
- The Architectural Heritage Fund
- The Civic Trust
- The Garden History Society
- The Georgian Group
- The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings
- The Twentieth Century Society
- The Victorian Society
Conservation Trade Links:
- AABC – Register of Architects Accredited in Building Conservation.
- Building Conservation Directory – For conservation professionals and suppliers.
- CARE (Conservation Accreditation Register for Engineers) – Identifies civil and structural engineers skilled in the conservation of historic structures and sites.
- Heritage Skills Hub - A not-for-profit Community Interest Company, set up to promote and support traditional building skills.
- HESPR (Historic Environment Service Providers Recognition) - A recognition and promotional service for companies operating in any area of historic environment conservation. HESPR is promoted and maintained by the IHBC.
- RICS Building Conservation Accredited Scheme – Provides a register of individuals with experience and knowledge in the conservation of historic buildings or sites.
- SALVO – Architectural salvage and antiques directory.