Bassetlaw District Council has developed a Bond Scheme in partnership with 2 Shires Credit Union, to help those in housing need access private rented accommodation.
The Bond Scheme will provide people with additional housing options, offer more housing choice and help create more settled communities.
Bassetlaw District Council will work in partnership with 2 Shires Credit Union and develop good working relationships with private landlords and estate agents to secure a supply of suitable properties.
For those accepted onto the Bond Scheme, we will:
- Help to find suitable properties
- Visit properties to ensure they are in good condition and meet all necessary health and safety criteria
- Negotiate lower rents and longer term tenancies
- Liaise with Landlords and make all necessary arrangements on applicant’s behalf
- Provide help with claims for Local Housing Allowance
- Make referrals for tenancy support where required
- Signpost to other specialist agencies where required
- Provide On-going support to landlord and tenant
Who is the Bond Scheme for?
Homeless people in Bassetlaw who are finding it difficult to access private rented accommodation due to the large sums of money that are required up front for bond and rent in advance payments.
Am I Eligible?
To be eligible for the Scheme, applicants must be homeless or threatened with homelessness, over 18 years of age and live or work in Bassetlaw. All applicants will have housing needs and financial assessments carried out to ensure that private rented accommodation is appropriate and affordable before being accepted onto the Scheme.
Once accepted onto the Scheme, 2 Shires Credit Union will lend applicants sufficient monies to cover the bond payment required and make the bond payments direct to the landlord. A low interest loan will then be set up to allow the applicant to repay the money borrowed, normally over a period of 12 months.