Private Distribution Systems

Private Water Supply

A private water supply, under the Private Water Supplies Regulations 2009, is when a water company supplies water to a boundary of a premises, which is then supplied onwards (by the person responsible for the premises) to other buildings or properties on the site which have different occupiers.

Types of premises where this might occur would include:

  • Campsites where water is distributed to individual units or stand pipes
  • Business parks
  • Industrial estates
  • A college campus

Types of premises that are not included are:

  • Blocks of residential flats or apartments whether owner occupied or tenanted;
  • Houses that have multiple occupancy;
  • A row of two or more houses (usually a terrace) supplied by a water undertaker from a single common supply pipe.

This further distribution of water is known as a Private Distribution System and the regulations introduce responsibilities for the person in charge of the distribution.

How are Private Distribution Systems monitored?

The Council were required to identify private distribution systems in the district by the end of 2014 and to carry out a risk assessment on the pipes, storage tanks etc. which join the buildings before 31 December 2014.  This has now been done and monitoring is now undertaken to check that measures are in place to ensure the water is safe.

The risk assessment determines the frequency of monitoring which will take into account the nature of the distribution system, number and types of premises served.

Our Charges

Local Authorities are permitted to charge for risk assessments up to statutory maximum in the Private Water Supplies Regulations 2009. From 1 April 2018 our charge is

  • £41 per hour
  • £25 per sample (small domestic supplies which serve more than a single user)

If you would like further information or if you believe you have management responsibility for a Private Distribution System or if you believe your property is served by this type of supply please complete an Make an Environmental Health Enquiry.