There is a requirement for certain new businesses to apply for a licence to trade.
The licence is normally issued by our Licensing Department.
Once an application for licence has been submitted, details of the business is passed to the Regulatory Team (Environmental Health) together with a request for an inspection to be completed.
If there are any discrepancies with the conditions or the conditions have not been met by the business, we would allow a period for the implementation of the conditions before checking for compliance.
Following an inspection to check compliance with the licensed conditions and also the Health and Safety legislation, our recommendations are passed to the Licensing Department for them to make a decision on issuing the licence.
When an application for renewal is received, we will be requested to inspect the business again and report back to the Licensing Department.
The type of establishments that we would be asked to inspect is varied:-
- Massage and Special Treatment, which includes Sun-beds (Nottinghamshire County Council Act 1985)
- Electrolysis (Nottinghamshire County Council Act 1985)
- Ear-piercing (Nottinghamshire County Council Act 1985)
- Tattooists (Nottinghamshire County Council Act 1985)
- Pet Shops (Pet Animals Act 1951)
- Dog Breeders (The Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999) (Animal Boarding Establishments 1963)
- Zoos (Zoo Licensing Act 1981)
- Dangerous Wild Animals (as classed under The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976)
- Caravan Sites - Residential, Holiday and Touring Sites (Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960)