Safer Food, Better Business

Food Safety

Food hygiene laws that came into force on 1 January 2006 affect all food businesses. How does the legislation affect you?

Food hygiene laws that came into force in the UK on 1 January 2006 affect all food businesses, including:

  • Caterers
  • Primary producers (such as farmers)
  • Manufacturers
  • Distributors
  • Retailers
  • Childminders
  • Butchers

How the legislation affects you will depend on the size and type of your business.

The law requires food businesses to put into place food safety management procedures based on Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) principles. In essence, the new Regulations add documentation and verification to the existing requirements.

The law will not require classical HACCP to be applied in food businesses, but businesses will need to develop food safety management systems based on HACCP principles with documentation and record keeping being proportionate to the nature and size of the business.

For further information and to download the pack please go to the Food Standards Agency website (FSA).

Diary Refills

For FREE SFBB diary refills to insert into your current pack please contact the Food Standards Agency Publications Department:

Please quote reference no: FSA/1043/0306

Retail Business Pack

The FSA has also produced a pack to help retail businesses comply with the requirement to have a food safety management system in place.

The retail pack is for small retail businesses that sell food, including any food that needs to be kept cold to keep it safe, such as milk. It also applies to small convenience stores, 'corner shops' and confectioners, tobacconists and newsagents.

The pack also carries advice for operators of small ‘bake off’ processes. The pack is laid out in a user friendly section-by-section format.

You can download the full pack, as well as an introduction explaining how to use from the Food Standards Agency Website or you can telephone 0845 606 0667 for more information.

Registering as a Food Business

To register as a food business operator you will need to inform your local authority - the authority where your 'business' is based.

Bassetlaw’s Food and Safety team is responsible for the registration of food businesses in the Bassetlaw area.