Any unattended dog in a public place is classed as a stray dog. If the Dog Warden finds a stray dog, he will collect it and take it to the Council’s appointed holding kennels at Carlton Forest Boarding Kennels.
If you have lost a dog, we may be able to locate it. Please telephone the Dog Warden service on 01909 533764. All dogs found by the warden or handed into him by the public are scanned for a Microchip and the registered owner contacted wherever possible. The warden will then use his discretion in deciding whether to return the dog directly to the owner or to kennel the dog and inform the owner.
Bassetlaw District Council's Registered Holding Kennel is Carlton Forest Boarding Kennels (contact details below).
Usually if the dog is not a recognised “regular roamer” the warden will attempt to return the dog, providing that it is carrying an identity tag and/or a microchip.
What if the Dog Warden has not got my Dog?
You can also contact the following organisations:-
- Nottinghamshire Police Tel: 101
- Doglost (internet based registration scheme)
- Local animal shelters
- Neighbouring Council’s Dog Wardens
- Newark & Sherwood District Council (Telephone: 01636 655571)
- Bolsover District Council (Telephone: 01246 242424)
- Mansfield District Council (Telephone: 01623 463463)
- Rotherham Borough Council (Telephone: 01709 336003)
- West Lindsey District Council (Telephone: 01427 676676)
Finding a Stray Dog
If you find a stray dog, under the law, you MUST report it to the local council. The Council’s Dog Warden can come out and scan the dog to see whether it is chipped and, wherever possible, he will try to reunite it with its owners. If the dog is not chipped it will be taken to the Registered Holding Kennels.
Stray dogs will be held at the kennels for 7 days to allow the owner to come forward and reclaim the pet. If this does not happen, the animal will be put up for rehoming by the kennels.
If you find a dog during office hours (Monday to Friday 8.40am to 5pm) you should inform the Dog Warden straight away on 01909 533764.
If you find a dog outside of office hours and are unable to keep it safe until the dog warden can collect it, you may take it to:-
- Carlton Forest Boarding Kennels (BDC Registered Holding kennels)
- Address: Glebe House, Blyth Road, Worksop, Nottinghamshire, S81 0TP
- Telephone: 01909 731792
- Mobile: 07811 117067
Please telephone the kennels before calling, so that kennel staff can be available to accept the dog. You will also need to take proof of your address with you.