How We Tackle Anti-Social Behaviour


We take all reported incidents of anti-social behaviour seriously and will not hesitate to use the full range of options available, if necessary, to tackle the problem. However enforcement action is not always the answer. The Bassetlaw, Newark and Sherwood partnership aims to utilise all suitable methods of intervention including referrals to specialist agencies were appropriate.

Acceptable Behaviour Contracts

An Acceptable Behaviour Contract (ABC) is a voluntary contract between the perpetrator of the anti-social behaviour, the council and other agencies. These contracts enable conditions to be placed upon an individual restricting their behaviour. While the signing of an ABC is voluntary, a breach could give supporting evidence towards the application for an Anti-Social Behaviour Order.

Whilst putting conditions on the individual we also try and support them by making appropriate referrals to specialist agencies e.g. the Targeted Support & Youth Justice Service.

Anti-Social Behaviour Order

An Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO) is granted by the courts to restrict or prohibit specific types of behaviour which impact on others.

Obtaining a ASBO is a complex process and requires evidence from the community. It is essential that victims of ASB report their problems through the appropriate channels including:


Injunctions are a prohibited order granted by the court which stops specific behaviour by an individual.

Injunctions can be for anti-social behaviour or a breach of tenancy conditions for tenants of a Local Authority property.

Injunctions are usually granted for a period of 12 months and a breach of an injunction can result in a prison sentence of up to two years.

Possession Action

Possession action will be taken in local authority owned property in partnership with A1 Housing for serious or repeated anti-social behaviour. An application will be made to the courts and if granted, you maybe evicted from your home.

Should this occur, you may not be rehoused by the local authority or other registered social landlords due to your previous behaviour.

Closure Notices

Those who regularly allow serious nuisance and disorder and those who deal in Class A drugs in and around their properties could well find a Court issuing a closure application at the request of the ASB Team.

If granted, the house could be boarded up for a period of three months, with further extensions of time available through the Court.

This can be done irrespective of ownership or tenure type.

Should this application be successful, then you may be removed form your home within a period of just 48 hours and be unable to return from the period of the closure.

It is also highly unlikely that you will be rehoused during this time period by the Local Authority or other registered social landlord due to your behaviour.