Claim help with rent


If you are under pensionable age and claim Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Universal Credit or Employment Support Allowance, the Jobcentre Plus will complete a form at your appointment with them, for you to claim help with your rent.

To contact Jobcentre Plus to make a claim, phone 0800 055 6688 (textphone 0845 600 4261)  or if you are claiming Universal Credit the number is 0345 600 0723. You would still claim help for Council tax with the Council. See our Council Tax Reduction page.

If you are of pensionable age, you can make a claim for Housing Benefit at the same time as claiming Pension Credit, with The Pension Service who will also collect information to help with a claim for Council Tax Reduction. They will help you to complete a shorter form or you will be able to claim over the phone. To contact the Pension Service, to claim, phone 0845 60 60 265 (textphone 0845 60 60 285).

If you have not claimed any of the above benefits and are on a low income, you can claim Housing Benefit directly at the Council or with your Housing Manager if you are a A1 Housing tenant. If you get Universal Credit, part of your monthly payment includes the help for your rent so you will have to make arrangements to pay this over to your landlord monthly. You cannot claim Housing Beneift from the Council.

You need to fill in a new claim form and provide evidence of your identity, National Insurance Number(s) and income, when you claim. 

  • Make a Benefit Claim Online
  • For A1 Housing tenants you can get help to claim from your Housing Manager
  • There are also Video links at Village locations in Bassetlaw where you can make a claim with help from an advisor on screen. Find out where your nearest HelpPoint is.