Changes In Circumstances

Changes Road Sign

If anything happens during claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction or after your benefit has been paid, which might affect how much benefit you get, you must tell us immediately.

If you don't tell us about a change, and we pay you too much benefit, you may have to pay it back plus a penalty charge in some cases.

You must tell us about changes in your income or circumstances so that we can work out if this affects how much benefit you get

Videos can be viewed on our YouTube Account - Tell us about your change in circumstances.

Please tell us if...

  • you or your partner start or stop getting Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (income based), Employment Support Allowance, Tax Credits or Universal Credit.
  • you or your partner start work the money you or your partner gets increases or decreases
  • the money non-dependants (other adults living with you) get increases or decreases¬†
  • there are any other changes in the money people in your home get. For example, someone starts getting Disability Living Allowance
  • someone moves in or out of your home
  • you change your address
  • the number of people in your home changes - for example, someone has a baby or someone moves out
  • a partner comes to live with you
  • a partner leaves
  • you, or your partner, go into hospital for more than 6 weeks
  • you, or your partner, become a student, or stop being a student
  • the amount of savings or capital you have changes


You do not have to tell us about changes in age (for example, if one your children becomes 11 years old), as we will have this information already.

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit, you must inform your work coach through your journal or telephone the free helpline on 0800 328 5644 to inform them. If you also get Council tax Reduction, from the Council, you must tell us about any changes too by choosing one of the forms on the right of this page.

If you get Pension Credit (Guarantee credit), you must tell the Pension Service about any changes in your circumstances which may affect your entitlement. You can contact the pension service on 0845 60 60 265 (textphone 0845 60 60 285).