Complaints & Compliments

Satisfaction -faces

Bassetlaw District Council work very hard to give you the services you need. The best way of doing this is by listening to you when we get things right - or wrong.

Putting The Customer First

You can read our Complaints Policy.

Under General Data Protection Regulations 2018 (GDPR), any personal details or information obtained in order to appropriately process your formal complaint in line with procedure will be stored securely and will only be used for the purposes as intended in conjunction with the GDPR principles.

Exceptions to our Complaints Procedure

If you want to tell us about litter, fly-tipping, street cleaning, refuse collection, or the condition of an open/green space including trees/grass verges and you haven't told us about this before, this is a request for service:

  • For planning matters visit the Planning Complaints, Comments or Compliments Page.
  • To complain about a Councillor please see the information given on our Local Councillors page of this website.
  • If your complaint is about street lighting, pavements or road issues, Nottinghamshire County Council are responsible for these areas, please visit their Report a Road Problem page of their website for further information.
  • Complaints about policies and decisions made by elected members do not fall within the remit of the complaints procedure. However a complaint about the way in which the policy or decision has been implemented by the Council does.  We will however, feedback residents’ views on policies and decisions made by elected members to the relevant portfolio holder.

Complaints relating to Freedom of Information Requests

If you are dissatisfied with the response that you have received to a Freedom of Information Request you are entitled to request an internal review of the matter within the Council's complaints procedure.

The matter will be addressed by the Council's Legal Services Team who will provide a response within 20 working days of receipt of the complaint. Should you remain dissatisfied with the internal review you have the further right to complain to the Information Commissioner or by writing to

  • Address: Information Commissioner, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
  • Telephone: 06125 545745.
  • Email:

We want you to tell us if......

  • You think we've done something well
  • You think we've done something wrong
  • You have any comments about our services

A1 Housing Tenants

If you are an A1 Housing tenant and wish to make a complaint, compliment or suggestion about your property, please contact the A1 Housing Customer Services Team.


If you require translation or interpretation of any of our services then please contact 01909 533533.

Our Promise to you .....

  • We will acknowledge receipt of your comment within 5 working days
  • We will answer all complaints/suggestions within 15 working days
  • We will use plain language
  • We will give you a contact name and telephone number

We will.....

  • Listen to you
  • Put things right if they go wrong
  • Take action as soon as possible at any stage
  • Keep you informed
  • Improve our services to meet with your needs

What happens if I'm not happy with the response to my complaint at stage one?

We will arrange for the matter to be reviewed under the next stage, (stage two) of the complaints procedure by the Chief Executive of the Council.

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

SCO Logo Final Jpeg Compressed

If you have been through all stages of our complaints procedure and are still unhappy, you can ask the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman to review your complaint.

The Ombudsman investigates complaints in a fair and independent way - it does not take sides. It is a free service.

The Ombudsman expects you to have given us chance to deal with your complaint, before you contact them. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable time, it may decide to look into your complaint anyway. This is usually up to 12 weeks but can be longer for social care complaints that follow a statutory process.

About the Ombudsman

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman is the final stage for complaints about councils and some other organisations providing local public services. It also investigates complaints about all adult social care providers (including care homes and home care agencies) for people who self-fund their care.



Telephone: 0300 061 0614

Text 'call back' to 0762 481 1595

Opening hours

Monday to Friday: 8.30am to 5.00pm (except public holidays)