have no tools, start by buying only the essentials first –
spade, fork, hoe, rake, watering can and trowel.
If you cannot afford brand new tools, it may be possible to buy
old or reconditioned tools from auctions, market stalls, car boot
sales or second-hand shops.
- It is worthwhile in investing in a good quality fork and spade
because they are in constant use and should be solid and
- The fork is used for raking and spreading compost, for
harvesting vegetables and for digging and removal of roots.
- The spade is used for cutting edges, winter digging, making
trenches and for emptying the compost heap.
- The rake is used for breaking down and levelling roughly dug
earth to make a fine seedbed. It is also useful for gathering
together debris such as weeds
- A wheelbarrow is essential for moving heavy and bulky
Last Updated - 26/07/2011